Eyelash extensions have become a popular beauty trend, allowing individuals to achieve long, luscious lashes without mascara or falsies. However, as with any beauty procedure, there are myths and misconceptions surrounding eyelash extensions, particularly regarding lash shedding. In this article, we’ll uncover the truth about eyelash extensions and the natural process of lash shedding. We will also tell you about how to keep lash extensions from falling out:
Understanding Eyelash Extensions
Before delving into lash shedding, let’s first understand what eyelash extensions are. These are synthetic or mink fibers applied to your natural lashes using adhesive. A trained technician meticulously places the extensions to create a fuller and longer lash appearance.
Myth: Eyelash Extensions Cause Excessive Lash Shedding
Debunking the Myth
One of the most common misconceptions about eyelash extensions is that they cause excessive lash shedding. Lash shedding is a natural part of the hair growth cycle. On average, each of your natural lashes goes through a growth phase, a resting phase, and a shedding phase. This process, known as the eyelash growth cycle, ensures that old lashes fall out to make way for new ones.
The Eyelash Growth Cycle
Understanding the eyelash growth cycle is essential to grasp why lash shedding occurs, even with eyelash extensions:
- Anagen (Growth Phase): This is when your natural lashes are actively growing. Eyelash extensions are attached to lashes in this phase.
- Catagen (Transition Phase): In this phase, lashes stop growing but remain attached to the extensions.
- Telogen (Resting Phase): Lashes no longer grow, and new lashes start forming beneath them.
- Exogen (Shedding Phase): Old lashes naturally fall out during this phase, making room for new ones.
Lash Shedding with Extensions
When you have eyelash extensions, you might notice some lashes falling out. It is not due to the extensions themselves but rather a result of your natural lashes going through their growth cycle. On average, you can expect to lose 1-5 natural lashes daily, with or without extensions.
Proper Eyelash Extension Care
To minimize lash shedding and extend the life of your eyelash extensions, it’s crucial to follow proper care instructions. Below, you can check details for how to keep eyelash extensions from falling out:
- Excessive rubbing can cause premature lash shedding.
- Oil-based makeup removers and skincare products can weaken the adhesive, leading to lash loss.
- Schedule touch-up appointments with your technician to fill gaps left by shed lashes.
- Clean your lashes daily with a mild, oil-free cleanser to remove dirt and debris.
In conclusion, eyelash extensions do not cause excessive lash shedding. Instead, the shedding is a natural part of the eyelash growth cycle. Proper care and maintenance can help preserve the longevity of your extensions and keep your lashes looking beautiful. So, if you’re considering eyelash extensions, rest assured that they won’t harm your natural lashes when applied and maintained correctly.
Remember, while eyelash extensions can enhance your beauty, it’s essential to prioritize the health and care of your natural lashes to enjoy stunning results without compromising their integrity.